Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Sellout Game

So my friend Melissa is looking for examples to use with her high school English students of people who started out "good" but became corrupt. I have been interested in this topic for some time now, particularly the hippie/activist to-yuppie narrative, describing that group of mainly white men who were able to cut their hair, stop standing with oppressed people, and start making tons of money. Also, Amiri Baraka read a poem where all he did was list off African American sellouts, from the Three Cs to unknown authors of MA theses on cultures of poverty, etc.

I wanted to start my list and ask you, friends of the Savage Detectives, to contribute. Who started out good (this is the hard part) and sold out? I'll start you off with some real and fictional examples:

Mugabe
Aristede
David Horowitz
Todd Gitlin
Jerry Rubin
Jane Fonda (do exercise videos count?)
Orlando Patterson
George Chauncey (from Justin)
Lorrie Moore (see Patricia's link)
Cipher from the Matrix
Keanu Reeves' character from My Own Private Idaho (not really fair because this is based on Henry IV and everyone in Shakespeare follows the basic narrative arc of the sellout. Also, I know I'm emphasizing Keanu Reeves movies here, but I also wonder if his persona is liminal in some way that fits with these sellout narratives--like, he's almost white, almost straight, etc...)
Common (the Gap ads? Do they count?)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this game!

Nelly Furtado
David Bowie (for the pretend gay crap. See Velvet Goldmine for a more stirring sellout)
George Chauncey (heh)
Bill Cosby
does the exploitation of Flavor Flav count?

-justin

molly said...

Nice! I think Flavor Flav has not quite been in his right mind for some time now, as is true for many has-beens-turned-reality-stars (see Paula Abdul), so we shouldn't really count him.

-molly

Unknown said...

Frederic Jameson (who has decided that Walmart offers us a utopian vision of the future)

Lorrie Moore (see this column in the NYT)

I would write the names of some other prominent second-wave feminists (Gloria Steinem, Robin Morgan, and Erica Jong, I'm looking at you), but I can't tell if their current racist indulgence in oppression bingo represents selling out, or if I've just been blind to that part of their politics all along.

molly said...

Do you think Jameson is being paid off by walmart?
OMG!!!

Aaron said...

Actually, I believe that right-wingers STILL aren't fonda jane.

molly said...

hmm, Aaron. That's not really an argument. Just because the right hates you doesn't mean you're not a sellout (cf. the entire Democratic party).

Aaron said...

I still am fonda her though because she was unapologetic on 60 minutes.

molly said...

Yeah, I kind of like her in sir no sir too.

Aaron said...

I take your comment to actually mean that you are kind of fonda her in sir no sir too. Right???

molly said...

right.