Sunday, March 30, 2008

Dispatch from New York #1: Hi!

It's no secret, I can be a little flakey.  You can ask Janet about that.  I'm practically a bad friend, but also one with a tendency to fall just short of actually being all that bad.  Rather than tease out the reasons, though (that can be dangerous, anyway), I'm writing today to say hello.  After many months of promising to be a part of this little project called the savage detectives (or The Savage Detectives or thesavagedetectives, depending on how you feel about capitalization, the blogger's tendency to ignore it, and just how literally one ought to take a name embedded in a web address), here I am!  And because I am currently unreliable-but-working-on-it, I'm going to promise you an entry a week which seems rather reasonable for me and you.

Some of you may know that tsd is based in Boston.  Lord knows I haven't earned the right no move it quite yet, but since I moved myself not too long ago, I've at least earned the right to inject a little New York sass and sophistication into this forum, no?  And really, what's a blog without its link to New York City?  Maybe this doesn't seem quite so urgent or even necessary to those of you not currently living here or, at least, engrossed in its internet culture, but then again, that's the point, isn't it?

As a sort-of-native of this place, it was easy to be away and poo-poo the idea that New York is such a bastion of possibility, opportunity, and dreams-come-true.  I won't lie: I wanted to get back here so I could ride the subway everywhere and get a job where I didn't have to work so hard.  And the New-York-by-way-of-Sex-in-the-City is still a lot of bullshit, but if you're smart and you don't spend all of your commute time with ipod plugs in your ears, there's a good deal that you can flirt with, play with, and even take home to your bed and that's a hell of a lot better than playing a good backdrop to the real movers and shakers by reading intently on the 6 train every morning.

So this'll be what happens when you pay attention -- or at least when I do... and then, of course, decide to write about it.  I've always been down on people who were down on school, but if there's one thing I learned in college, it's that intellectualizing in the classroom alone is a waste of intellectualizing.  So enjoy.

No comments: